Chhattisgarh is a state where rice cultivation is done majorly. Therefore, Chhattisgarh is also known as ‘Bowl of Rice’ or what you say in Hindi is ‘Dhan ka Katora’. That’s why most of the dishes made in Chhattisgarh are mainly of rice. So, today’s recipe which I am sharing with you all is also a rice dish and one of the most popular dishes of Chhattisgarhi cuisine. Pitha is a combination of rice and lentil ( Urad Dal ). It is generally served as a snack with tomato chutney. So. let’s see how Pitha is made.
- 150 gms of Urad Dal or split Black Gram.
- A medium sized bowl of Rice Flour.
- 7-8 cloves of garlic.
- A Handful of fresh whole coriander seeds.
- 2 tbsps of vegetable oil.
- A tsp of mustard seeds.
- A tsp of sesame seeds.
- Salt to taste.
How to Cook?
- First, take a bowl of rice flour and some water and salt to make a soft dough. Knead it well and keep it aside and let it rest for 10 mins. This will be the base of our recipe.
- Meanwhile, take urad dal in a bowl, now here we have to use urad dal which is soaked overnight and grounded into a paste.
- Now take the garlic cloves and fresh whole coriander seeds which you also call ‘Phar Dhaniya’ in Chhattisgarh in a mixer and make a paste .
- Add this paste to the urad dal paste with some salt and make a good mixture.
- So, the stuffing is ready for our Pitha and now we have to make the base of it.
- To make a base, take a small portion of rice flour dough in your hands and make small katories or bowl from it.
- To that small bowls of rice flour add the urad dal stuffing. Now make sure that the urad dal stuffing should be thick and not flowy.
- Now, steam this small bowls in a microwave or steamer for 10-12 mins. This is how it looks after steaming.
- Our Pitha is almost ready, we have to just tadka it .
- For preparing the tadka, take a kadhai and add 2 tbsps of oil. After it gets heated, add a tsp of mustard seeds and a tsp of sesame seeds.
- Let it crackle, then add your steamed pitha and saute it for 5-8 mins.
- And tada your pitha is ready to serve. Serve it with tomato chutney or tomato ketchup.
Do try this at your home as it not so unhealthy. In fact, it is quite healthy as very less oil is used in this recipe and it is also a steamed dish. So, this was another addition to the list of Chhattisgarhi Cuisine. If you want to read and see more such Chhattisgarhi recipes then you can click on the link given below. Also, do not forget to contact me in all my social medias till then take care and keep cooking.
- Cheesy Spinach Quesadillas
- Tacos with corn
- Papite ka Kofta
- Dal Palak
- Corn Stuffed Bread Pakora
- Makhane ki Kheer
- Spaghetti Arrabiata
Follow me on my YouTube Channel and other social media