Idhar Kadhi is one of the most popular and delicious dishes of Chhattisgarhi cuisine. It is mostly made during festivals or special occasion or during Chhattisgarhi feast. But, let me first explain to you what is Idhar Kadhi ? So, basically Idhar Kadhi is made up of colocasia leaves or arbi ke patte wrapped with urad dal paste and then steamed and fried and then served with a normal kadhi. People find it a bit difficult to make it as the process is little bit complex and time taking. So, I have tried to simplify the process a little bit. Let’s start cooking.
- 15-20 colocasia leaves/arbi ke patte.
- 1 kg of urad dal/split black gram soaked overnight.
- 1 kg of sour curd.
- 10-12 cloves of garlic.
- 2-3 chopped tomatoes.
- 4 tbsp of turmeric powder.
- 4 tbsp of coriander powder.
- 4 tbsp of red chili powder.
- 2 tsp of mustard seeds.
- 1 tsp of asafoetida.
- 5-6 green chilies.
- Vegetable oil for deep frying.
- Salt to taste.
How to Cook?
- Firstly, take the soaked urad dal in a blender and make a coarse paste of it. Gently wash the colocasia leaves by water and allow it to dry.
- Take the urad dal paste in a bowl and add 5-6 crushed garlic, 2 tbsps of coriander powder, 2 tbsps of red chili powder and salt to taste. Mix it nicely.
- Now, take a colocasia leave and evenly spread the urad dal paste all over the surface. Take another colocasia leave and place it on the top of the first colocasia leave to form a layer. Keep one thing in mind that spread the urad dal paste on the back side of the colocasia leave.
- Now, the next step is to start folding it to form a roll like structure. Fold it once and again spread the urad dal paste. Repeat the process till it is entirely done. When the leaves are formed into a roll again spread the urad dal paste on the top and bottom of it.
- Next step is to steam the idhar rolls. Now, for steaming you can use any method according to your convenience. I have used microwave to steam it.Microwave it for 5-6 mins and it is done.
- Cut the roll into pieces like you cut the swiss roll or cinnamon roll. Heat oil in a kadhai and deep fry it till it gets the golden brown color.
- Now for the kadhi, take 3 tbsps of oil in another kadhai and add 2 tbsp of mustard seeds. After it gets crackled, add a tsp of asafoetida and 5-6 green chilies.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let it cook for 4-5 mins. Meanwhile, beat the curd nicely to avoid any lumps.
- Add the curd into the kadhai and add 4-5 cups of water. Also add a tbsp of turmeric powder, a tsp of red chili powder, crushed 4-5 garlic cloves and salt to taste.
- Keep stirring the kadhi to prevent it from getting lumps. Allow it to boil for good 7-8 mins and keep stirring it in between.
- When the kadhi is boiled nicely and gets a beautiful yellow color, add the fried idhar and let it boil for good 10-12 mins so that it can soak the kadhi nicely and gets soften.
- Idhar kadhi is ready to serve. Serve it with steamed rice or rotis and it will taste delicious.
So, this is one of the best ways to use colocasia leaves in your meal. Do try this recipe if you want to eat colocasia leaves but you don’t know how to use it. You can make a kadhi or simply just fry it and have it as a snack. The only thing that you have to keep in mind that use good quality of colocasia leaves because sometimes it can give you the itchiness in your throat. Wash it nicely before using it to avoid this itchiness. So, this was my take on Idhar Kadhi, I hope that you like this post and don’t forget to check my other posts on this website and also if you want to see this that how it’s made then head over to my youtube channel. All of my social media links are listed below. Do follow me on all of that and give your suggestions and feedback, I would love to see that. Till then takecare and Keep Cooking 🙂
- Cheesy Spinach Quesadillas
- Tacos with corn
- Papite ka Kofta
- Dal Palak
- Corn Stuffed Bread Pakora
- Makhane ki Kheer
- Spaghetti Arrabiata
Follow me on my YouTube Channel and other social media