Dhuska : A Delicacy of Jashpur
Published on : 9 January 2020
In Chhattisgarh, Dhuska has generally two variants. One with the Rice and Rice Flour also known as Mota Roti and another is Jashpur’s Dhuska which is a deep batter of Rice, Chana Dal and Urad Dal. Jashpur’s Dhuska is influenced by Jharkhand as Jashpur is at the Jharkhand border. Few months ago, I was invited by the Jashpur Tourism Board, Collector of Jashpur Mr. Nilesh Kumar Kshirsagar in association with Kosal Katha and Jashpur Wildlife Welfare Foundation. The main aim of this trip was to promote culture, tourism, food and developments of Jashpur District. Of course, my attention was to explore the local cuisine and delicacies of the district. And on top of the list was DHUSKA! Definitely, One of the simplest recipes in Chhattisgarhi Cuisine.
WHERE TO GET DHUSKA IN JASHPUR?
Bus Depot of Jashpur Nagar is where you can find the best one. There might be another places too. Go to Lokesh Bhaiya’s Thela for the unique and amazing Aloo Dhuska. I’ll insert the picture below. You can also find traditional dhuska in that area. Two aloo dhuska with Chane ki Sabzi only for Rs. 10 only.
- A cup of Rice
- 1/2 a cup of Urad Dal
- 1/2 a cup of Chana Dal
- A tsp of baking soda
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
How to Cook ?
- Soak Rice, Chana Dal and Urad Dal in water overnight. Next day, grind all of it together to form a smooth paste.
- Add a cup of water to the paste. The consistency of the batter will be similar to the dosa batter.
- Add salt to taste and baking soda. Mix it well.
- Heat oil for deep frying and pour the batter from a ladle directly into the oil.
- You can make 3 – 4 dhuskas at once. Remember that the flame will be on high when you pour the batter and then on sim.
- Deep fry it until it gets light brown color which will take usually 8 minutes.
- Serve hot with Red Chili and Garlic Chutney or with Chane ki Sabzi.
I hope you will like the recipe. Also, do let me know what other recipes to share. Follow me on all my social media handles.
Dhuska Served With Red Chili And Garlic Chutney